California Shooting Suspect Dies From Self-inflicted Injury


San Francisco, January 23: 72-year-old man suspected in Monterey Park, California shooting that killed 10 people found dead of self-inflicted gunshot wounds after standoff with police it was done.

Five women and five men were killed and 10 more injured in Saturday’s shooting, which is considered one of the deadliest in recent US history.

The tragic incident occurred at 10:22 p.m. at the Star Ballroom Dance Studio, a popular ballroom dance facility that has been in operation for almost 30 years and has been hosting events to celebrate the countdown to the Chinese New Year. .

On Sunday night, Los Angeles County Sheriff Robert Luna told reporters that the suspect had been identified as Fu Kang Tran.

The car was parked in a parking lot on Sunday morning and was surrounded by police in Torrance, about 30 miles southwest of Monterey Park, after gunshots were heard inside.

According to Luna, the man in the van who was found dead after a three-hour standoff with a special weapons and tactics team was later identified as a suspect.

A motive for the shooting has not yet been confirmed.

The sheriff also said authorities were working to identify the victims.

“Keep in mind that it wasn’t long ago that the coroner’s office recovered the bodies, especially for deceased victims. So they’re still in the process of certain. We still have a lot of work to do to answer a lot of questions,” CNN quoted Luna.

He said he could not give an exact age because all of the victims were not identified, but gave a range.

“We don’t know their specific ages because they weren’t identified. But they’re not in their 20s, 30s. They look like they’re probably in their 50s, 60s, or older.”

Monterey Park, a city of 61,000 people on the eastern edge of Los Angeles, has a majority, or 65%, Asian-American population.

Starting Saturday, the city hosted one of the biggest events in the region, the annual two-day Chinese New Year celebration.

Thousands attended Saturday’s celebrations, which ended about an hour before the deadly shooting.

The festival scheduled for Sunday has been cancelled.

Also on Sunday, President Joe Biden issued a statement honoring the victims and ordered staff in half the White House and other federal buildings to fly flags until sundown on Thursday.

“On January 21, 2023, at Monterey Park, California, I am hereby in honor of the victims of the senseless acts of violence perpetrated by the powers vested in me as President of the United States by the Constitution and law of the United States. orders the White House, all public buildings and grounds, all military posts and naval bases, and all naval vessels of the Federal Government to fly the flag of the United States at half-staff, January 26, 2023; throughout the District of Columbia, and the United States and its territories and possessions, until sundown,” he said in a proclamation.

So far, there have been at least 36 mass shootings in the United States in the last 23 days this year, according to the nonprofit Cancer Violence Archive.




Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *